Welcome to MinorityPostdoc.org
This is the premier web portal on the minority postdoctoral experience. We feature news, articles, resources, and events about career advice, professional development, jobs, funding, fellowships, mentoring, and diversity issues…(Read more).
National Survey of Sexual Diversity in STEM
If you’re lesbian, gay, bisexual, or trans, have at least a Bachelor’s or technical degree, and are currently working in a STEM field in any capacity — from grad school to tenure-track faculty to corporate R&D to government employees to teachers — then please participate in this survey. This research is being conducted by Jeremy Yoder (Postdoctoral Associate in the Department of Plant Biology at the University of Minnesota) and Allison Mattheis (new faculty member in the College of Education at California State University, Los Angeles). As queer academics, they’re interested in understanding and improving the climate for LGBTQ professional, faculty, staff, and students in STEM. Please help spread the word by sharing the link http://bit.ly/queerSTEM along with the hashtag #QueerSTEM.
#BGNpodcast: Black & African-American Software Coders
We participated in a Black Girl Nerds podcast on the topic “Black Coders” on May 13, 2013. Discussion was moderated by Jamie Broadnax. BGN is “a place for women of color with various eccentricities to express themselves freely and embrace who they are. This is not a site exclusively for Black women. It’s for ALL women who are just as nerdy as we are.”
Silicon Valley Latino Leadership Summit
We’re micro-reporting from this 4th annual discussion on latino leadership occuring on May 11 at Stanford, CA. Kudos to volunteer Heidi Hernandez Gatty of Small Brown Girl Consulting for Tweets (see Storify below).
Promoting Postdocs at Texas Diversity Conferences
For the next few weeks, we are in Texas at various conferences promoting diverse postdocs as a talent pool for recruiting. At the PeopleConnect conference, Executive Director Alberto Roca will be speaking on “Minority Postdocs are the Source for Future Faculty of Color”.
- Diversity Summit
May 3; Houston, TX
- American Association for Affirmative Action (AAAA)
May 7-10; San Antonio, TX
May 15-17; Austin, TX
Professional/Faculty Positions & Opportunities
MinorityPostdoc.org is a niche marketing site with a diverse readership. The Job listings page has a complete roster of institutions who are reaching out to expand the diversity of their candidate applicant pools. Below is a subset of our advertisers; and, we post the latest openings in the announcements section above at the top of every website page. Advertisers can request ad rate info by contacting us at
- University of Southern California: Faculty Positions in:
- University of Missouri at Columbia: Muliple Faculty Positions
- Biomedical Sciences
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Forestry and Division of Plant Sciences
- Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women’s Health
- Pathology and Anatomical Sciences
- Veterinary Pathobiology
- University of Houston-Downtown: Faculty Positions in:
- Bethune-Cookman University: Faculty Position in Biology
- Stanford University: Faculty Position in Coastal Human-Environment Systems
- National Radio Astronomy Observatory: Data Analyst
- University of California, Riverside: Researcher in Materials Science and Engineering
- Vanderbilt University: Faculty Position in Biomedical Informatics
- Rutgers University-Camden, the State University of New Jersey: Multiple Faculty Searches
Symposium: ADVANCEing STEM Faculty at UC Davis
On April 25 the University of California, Davis ADVANCE program had a Symposium on “ADVANCEing STEM Faculty at UC Davis”. Storify below.
Keeping Our Faculty of Color Symposium #KoFoC13
The 6th Keeping Our Faculty of Color Symposium is April 14 to 16 at the University of Minnesota. DiverseScholar Executive Director, Alberto Roca, will be speaking on “Minority Postdocs are the Source for Future Faculty of Color”. He will also be micro-reporting the event with Tweets labeled #KoFoC13.
Discussion on Science News & Media Diversity #SciComm
We participated in a Google+ Hangout on the topic “Science News & Media Diversity #SciSplain #JournoSplain #SciComm” on April 11, 2013. Discussion was moderated by Danielle Lee and involved members of @TheDarkSci — a team of #STEM enthusiasts working to spread the word about Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics especially through niche & ethnic media publications.
Introducing the DiverseScholar Doctoral Directory
Our new Doctoral Directory is available to help institutions diversify their job candidate pools. Read summary demographic information about the Directory. Learn about our new Institutional Subscription packages for access to the online and print versions of the Doctoral Directory.
Grad/Postdoc Positions & Opportunities
Below are recent listings of opportunities for graduate students and postdocs. The Job listings page has a complete roster of institutions who are reaching out to expand the diversity of their candidate applicant pools. Below is a subset of our advertisers; and, we post the latest openings in the announcements section above at the top of every website page. Advertisers can request ad rate info by contacting us at .
- Case Western Reserve University: Postdoctoral Research Training Programs: Computational Genomic Epidemiology of Cancer; Statistical Genetics/Genetic Epidemiology
- Brown University: Environmental Change Initiative Voss Postdoctoral Research Associate
- NASA Postdoctoral Fellowships
Read our original published articles below. Submit article ideas by contacting us at .
- Minority Postdocs are the Source for Future Faculty of Color
- Mentoring Matters in Meeting the Needs of First Generation Scholars
- Materials Science and Engineering Faculty Promote Micromentoring to Advance Diversity
- Joint Annual Black/Hispanic Physicists Conference Draws Hundreds, Gets Positive Reviews
- Creating a Diversity in Science Course
- Fulfilling the Education Dreams of a Filipino Immigrant
- How a High-School Chemistry Teacher Reached the White House
- NOGLSTP Out to Innovate Conference: Furthering LGBT Diversity and Inclusion in Science, Technology Engineering, and Mathematics
- Imposter or Just Human: Reflecting on “Mistakes”
- Redirecting National Attention to the Needs of Underrepresented Postdocs
- American Indian Ways-of-Knowing are Broader than Science
- LGBTQ Coalition Building in a Networked World
- #SCIO12 Policy Report: Academia is Productive but Messy - Effects on (Mis)Communication
- “Social” Science: Experimenting with Social Media (Blogging, Tweeting, etc) to Build Scholarship Communities
- The First National Celebration of Asian Heritage Scientists & Engineers: SASE Connects!
- Online LGBT Pride: the Diversity in Science Blog Carnival
- NOGLSTP “Out To Innovate” STEM Career Summit
- Social Media for the Latina Scientist
last updated 15-May-2013