The Department of Data Sciences and Operations at the Marshall School of Business at the University of Southern California (USC) invites applications for clinical/practice-based non-tenure track (Teaching) positions in Data Sciences and Operations, beginning in Fall 2023.
We seek candidates who are inspiring teachers committed to preparing diverse, global leaders at both graduate and undergraduate levels in the broad areas of operations management, statistics, information systems, or business analytics. This is an open rank listing, and the hiring rank depends on qualifications. Possible ranks include Lecturer, Senior Lecturer; Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor of Clinical Data Sciences and Operations; Associate and Professor of the Practice of Data Sciences and Operations.
Available positions are full-time, multi-year, renewable appointments, beginning in August 2023. We welcome applications from candidates with a wide array of backgrounds and interests but are especially interested in those capable of teaching courses on operations management, statistics, or business/data analytics. The annual teaching load is equivalent to six courses per year. Administrative appointments within Marshall may result in course release after the first year.
Preferred qualifications for clinical/practice-based faculty positions include:
- Superior teaching and communication skills, with demonstrated excellence in teaching undergraduate or graduate students.
- Practical work experience in relevant fields such as operations management, logistics, supply chain management, data analytics, and AI/Machine Learning.
- Experience and interest in data analytics, operations and supply chain management, and AI/Machine Learning.
- A doctoral or other terminal degree in Operations Management, Statistics, Information Systems, or a related discipline is preferred but not required.
Salary and rank depend on qualifications. The initial contract length ranges from two to four years based on rank, with the strong expectation that the contract will be renewed if performance expectations are met or exceeded. Employee benefits for full-time faculty are excellent and include tuition assistance for qualifying children and spouses at USC and other participating universities.
Department of Data Sciences and Operations
The Department of Data Sciences and Operations is made up of faculty working in operations management, statistics, and information systems.
- Our operations group develops data-driven models for a wide variety of operations problems and approaches based on large-scale analytics and machine learning.
- Our statistics group comprises leading experts in statistical learning and higher dimensional statistics.
- Our information systems group focuses on digital transformation, innovation, and experimentation, including digital business strategy in dynamic environments, virtual collaborations, teams and communities, digital business ecosystems, and the design and implementation of an experiment- and algorithm-driven digital interventions in online social networks and marketplaces.
- Our information systems group utilizes a wide range of theories and methods in Economics, Organization Science, and Strategy.
The Department of Data Sciences and Operations is the home of leading Master of Business Analytics (MSBA) and Master of Global Supply Chain Management (MSGSM) programs. USC is a world leader in digital innovation, entertainment, media, and technology, home to such institutes as the Institute for Creative Technologies and is adjacent to the city’s burgeoning “Silicon Beach.”
For full consideration, please ensure all materials are uploaded by December 9th, 2022. Applications should include a cover letter, full resume or curriculum vitae; evidence of teaching excellence, including course evaluations; and three reference letters. Within your materials, please share how you would contribute to and promote Marshall’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in your teaching, curricula, and student engagement.
Information about the Data Sciences and Operations department, its faculty, and the Marshall school can be obtained at: www.marshall.usc.edu/dso.
USC and Marshall School of Business
Located near the heart of Los Angeles, the University of Southern California is home to approximately 40,000 students and 5,000 faculty members. USC Marshall is renowned for its high-ranking undergraduate, graduate, international, and executive education programs, an exceptional faculty engaged in leading-edge research, a diverse, international, and creative student body, and a commitment to technological advancement. The research productivity of Marshall’s 250 full-time faculty ranks among the top 10 business schools in the world, and we are a collaborative and inclusive group of scholars who often work together and our graduate students.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100 or by email at email@example.com. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Quicklink to apply: facultypositions.usc.edu/FAS/application/