The Postdoc Academy project, a nationwide professional development online and in-person program to support skill development throughout postdoc training, from orientation to next career step, is seeking a postdoctoral fellow for research on online learning and outcomes for postdocs participants. The Postdoc Academy, starting year three of a five year program, has completed one and is building a second free online course and over 3,000 postdocs have participated so far. The project has collected data on postdoc learning actions in the online course, in small group learning communities, and behavioral changes through follow up evaluations. The goal of this research position is to parse the large amount of quantitative and qualitative data, explore multiple analysis and answer and publish on fundamental research questions about how the learning happens related to our theories of change, the impact of the learning, how community formation influences learning, and other areas to be discovered. Candidates who are interested in an academic career in quantitative social science or learning sciences are strongly encouraged to apply. The position will be one year, renewable for up to three years contingent on funding, and is available immediately.
Submit your cover letter and CV to Northwestern HR Careers, job #39844
- Significant research-based experience and expertise in manipulating and analyzing large data sets with quantitative and text data, learning analytics a plus
- Significant experience in coding with R or Python or equivalent; experience in SQL or willingness to learn
- Strong data visualization and communication skills
- Computer science, statistics, STEM (with emphasis on computational skills/statistics), data sciences, learning sciences, or quantitative social science PhD.
- Translate edX event logs into analyzable format
- Perform basic and advanced statistical analysis of online course data, particularly student engagement patterns and online course outcomes (descriptive statistics, linear/logistic regression analysis, latent class, cluster analysis, etc)
- Analyze large amounts of qualitative text-based data using natural language processing
- Create figures and graphs to demonstrate key findings
- Lead and contribute to team discussions about data analysis and insights
- Lead and contribute to the preparation of manuscripts, particularly methods and results sections of the manuscripts
- Perform duties in accordance with IRB standards
Contact: Bennett Goldberg, email@example.com; Director of Research in Higher Education, Training, and Evaluation at Northwestern University. Position is remote until pandemic is over; generally in-person afterward, with remote as a potential option.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.