Please apply by clicking here: career5.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=36337&company=C0001215517P
Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Position: Associate or Senior Editor, Nature Cancer
Location: New York, London, Berlin or Shanghai
Application Deadline: July 6, 2021
Nature Cancer is the journal in the Nature Portfolio that publishes the most significant advances across the full spectrum of cancer research, spanning basic preclinical, translational and clinical work. The journal’s broad scope covers all research offering new insights into cancer biology, immunology, genetics and genomics, the development and delivery of new therapies and diagnostics, and new ways of understanding the global societal impact of cancer, ensuring that the work published reaches the widest possible audience.
To help us to build on the success of Nature Cancer we are seeking a highly motivated scientist with a strong background in any area of cancer research and oncology, including cancer biology, immunology, genetics & genomics, translational and clinical research.
The successful candidate will report to the Chief Editor and will contribute to shaping the future of the journal. They will work closely with the close-knit Nature Cancer team on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection, overseeing the peer-review process, commissioning and editing Reviews, Commentary and News & Views and writing for the journal. They will liaise extensively with the scientific community through laboratory visits and international conferences, virtually or in-person.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) and preferably postdoctoral experience, with a strong track record in cancer research, oncology or a related field within the scope of the journal. Editorial experience is not required, but applicants with previous editorial experience are encouraged to apply.
- Breadth of knowledge and interest in cancer research, both within and beyond your specialty, and the ability to absorb new areas of research.
- Excellent literary, communication and interpersonal skills and fluency in English (written and spoken).
- The ability to assess and discuss the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to Nature Cancer and covering different areas of the journal's scope, and to recommend well-reasoned editorial decisions in light of expert advice.
- Eagerness to represent Nature Cancer to the worldwide community of cancer researchers; to meet scientists and learn more about them and their work; and to tell them about the journal and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment – diligence, self-motivation, flexibility and team spirit are essential.
This is a full-time permanent position, located in our New York, London, Berlin, or Shanghai offices.
To apply, please send in a single document:
- Your CV
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the post and indicating salary expectations and preferred office location.
- A list of 6 published articles or preprints from the last year (excluding Nature Cancer papers), which you would have selected editorially to represent the scope of Nature Cancer. For each article please provide the full reference and link together with a brief (~100 word) rationale for your choice.
- A concise 700-1000 word piece in the style of the News & Views articles of Nature Cancer, discussing recently published developments in cancer research (excluding Nature Cancer papers), which you found particularly exciting.
The application deadline for this position is July 6th. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt.
Berlin candidates: We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Varied and interesting tasks
- An excellent working environment with flat hierarchies
- A good work life balance with fair working hours and a generous and flexible vacation package
- Discounted public transport
- Discounted book prices
- An excellent on-site cafeteria
Terms for Berlin
Working Hours: Full-time (37 hours/week)
Company: Springer Nature AG & Co. KGaA
Contact HR Berlin: Barbara Thorwarth
At Springer Nature we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognise the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster: www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf.
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing (E&P) website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.