The Anxiety and Traumatic Stress Disorders Laboratory is seeking a postdoctoral fellow with a background in clinical psychology and a focus on affective neuroscience to join our team at McLean Hospital / Harvard Medical School. The fellow will be mentored by Elizabeth Olson, Ph.D. and Isabelle Rosso, Ph.D. at McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School. The lab is part of the Center for Depression, Anxiety, and Stress Research at McLean Hospital (cdasr.mclean.harvard.edu). The fellow will work on multiple NIMH-funded projects that study the neurobiological basis and treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and sequelae of trauma and childhood maltreatment, using multimodal brain imaging and behavioral methods including digital phenotyping.
The fellow will have access to the McLean Hospital and Harvard Medical School academic environment and resources. The successful candidate will be proposed for academic appointment as a Research Fellow in the Department of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School.
Job description: We are seeking a clinical psychology PhD graduate. Our ideal candidate has both (1) experience conducting semi-structured clinical interviews with adolescents and/or adults, including assessment for psychopathology, and (2) experience in neuroimaging data analysis. Applicants with a background in one of those two areas and interest in developing the other will also be considered.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts semi-structured clinical interviews of research study participants. Responsible for assigning diagnoses and assessing inclusion/exclusion criteria. Assesses and triages for risk-related issues (suicidality, mandated reporting) as appropriate. We are interested in candidates who have a record of success in recruiting and retaining participants from groups underrepresented in biomedical research.
- Processes and analyzes neuroimaging data (task-based fMRI, resting state fMRI, structural MRI, diffusion tensor imaging), including editing and running scripts and workflows for neuroimaging pipelines (SPM12, FSL, CONN, FreeSurfer). Creates and writes bash and/or python scripts for data organization, performs quality control procedures for imaging data, and develops and runs first- and second-level models in SPM12 and fMRIPrep.
- Develops, organizes, and/or maintains study databases. Responsible for data validation and quality control.
- Analyzes data using statistical software (R preferred).
- Writes abstracts, posters, and manuscripts.
- Supervises research assistants and students. This may include clinical supervision as well as support with data management, analysis, interpretation, and manuscript preparation. May participate in interviewing/hiring and training research assistants and students.
- May develop and implement new research protocols, institutional review board (IRB) applications and amendments, and/or grant and fellowship applications.
- Performs all other miscellaneous research and administrative duties as assigned.
- All McLean team members are expected to consistently demonstrate our values of integrity, compassion, respect, diversity, teamwork, excellence and innovation in their work activities and interactions.
Preferred is a candidate with the following attributes:
- Strong background in working with adolescents and/or adults, including diagnostic assessment via semi-structured interviews (e.g., SCID).
- Strong background in neuroimaging data analysis, including functional fMRI (fMRI).
- Excellent statistical background and skillset, including data management and analysis.
- Interest in working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, including both contributing and learning from others.
- Self-starter with excellent problem-solving and communication skills who wants to gain additional research mentorship as part of their career trajectory.
- Interest in supervision and demonstrated success in mentoring research assistants and students from a wide range of disciplines, cultures, and academic backgrounds.
- PhD in Clinical Psychology required.
To apply for this position, email a cover letter, CV and three letters of recommendations to:
Elizabeth Olson, Ph.D.
Anxiety and Traumatic Stress Disorders Laboratory
Center for Depression, Anxiety and Stress Research
115 Mill Street, Mail Stop 334
Belmont, MA 02478
McLean Hospital is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.