Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Stem Cell and Gene Therapy (SCGT) program at Fred Hutch is recruiting a research associate / staff scientist, with a focus on developing novel gene therapy and gene editing strategies using nucleases and base editors for the modification of hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs). The position involves responsibilities, such as the development and optimization of protocols, processing of primary tissue samples, culture/analysis of genetically modified cell, and transplantation/monitoring of modified cells ex vivo as well as in vivo. The candidate will work under the PI and will be expected to publish and present their work in both internal and external events. Some experience with Fanconi anemia and / or hemoglobinopathies would be beneficial.
- A PhD or MD in a scientific field is required.
- The individual must possess knowledge of hematopoietic stem cell biology.
- Experience in using gene therapy and editing tools is required.
- Experience is preferred in one or more of the following areas: hematopoietic stem cell cultures/model systems, in vivo studies, flow cytometry/flow-assisted cell sorting, and/or molecular biology techniques e.g. quantitative PCR. Previous experience in basic bioinformatics, and/or GLP/GMP techniques is desired, but not required.
- To be successful in this position, the candidate must be highly motivated and able to work independently to design and execute experiments, possess a high level of initiative and attention to detail, and must also be able to multi-task and prioritize work at short notice.
- They must also be capable of working independently in a team environment.
- Candidates with excellent organizational skills and communication skills (written and oral) are encouraged to apply.
Fred Hutch has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations.
As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination or initiate the accommodations process before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.