Open Date: December 11, 2020
Close Date: January 25, 2021
Fermilab seeks highly motivated candidates for a Postdoctoral Research Associate position for the Proton Improvement Plan-II (PIP-II) project. PIP-II is an essential upgrade to the Fermilab accelerator complex that will deliver record-power proton beams to Fermilab complex accelerators and support current and future High Energy Physics experiments and programs, including the Long Baseline Neutrino Facility and Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (LBNF/DUNE). PIP-II includes a high-power H- 800-MeV Superconducting Linac (SC) and several upgrades to the Fermilab Accelerator Complex.
The selected candidate will work on the accelerator physics aspects of the design of the PIP-II project with a focus on numerical studies of the beam dynamics in the PIP-II SC linac and the Fermilab Booster. The selected candidate will be exposed to a broad range of physics and technical problems associated with the design and operation of the PIP-II SC linac and Fermilab circular accelerators. In addition, the candidate will contribute to the development of Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI)-based algorithms and their integration into beam tunning procedures and software. These methods are expected to play a major role in future operations of PIP-II and the Fermilab Accelerator Complex.
The position is for a period of up to three (3) years, with the potential for extension considered on a yearly basis thereafter.
- Simulate the beam dynamics in the PIP-II SC linac and the Fermilab Booster using accelerator beam dynamic codes
- Benchmark results of simulation of the beam dynamics in the Fermilab accelerators through comparison with experimental data, understand particle loss mechanisms, and develop mitigations
- Apply knowledge of accelerator physics and use numerical simulations and analytical studies to develop specifications for PIP-II technical system
- Explore ML/AI-based algorithms for accelerator applications. Develop physics-based AI/ML models and integrate them into commissioning and operational software.
- Document results of the studies in comprehensive reports and presents them at meetings and conferences.
- Work closely with the L3 manager for the Accelerator Physics, PIP-II physicists and engineers, and personnel from other departments to accomplish project goals.
Qualifications and Essential Job Functions
- Ph.D. in Physics or Engineering with the focus on the particle accelerators or experimental particle physics
- Demonstrated understanding of the beam dynamics in particle accelerators and their operational principles.
- Possess strong team skills in a collaborative and transparent working environment
- Experience with beam dynamics simulations, simulation codes, and development of accelerator lattice
- Experience with ML/AI technologies desired
- Knowledge of computer programming languages, Python, and C/C++ desired
- Respect, understand, and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity.
- Abide by all environment, safety, and health regulations.
Interested candidates should submit via Academic Jobs Online (AJO):
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement
- Publication List
- Three Reference Letters (to be submitted by the reference writers at the AJO site).
For general information about this position, please contact Eduard Pozdeyev at email@example.com with “PIP-II Research Associate Application” in the subject heading.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Underrepresented groups/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply