Open Date: June 1, 2020
Close Date: August 15, 2020
Fermilab is America's premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and South Dakota and at locations around the world, including Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
The Accelerator Division is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill a Research Associate position in the Muon Department. The mission of the Muon Department is to develop, improve and operate the Muon Campus accelerator complex in support of Fermilab's muon program. This program currently involves the Muon g-2 and Mu2e experiments. The successful candidate will primarily work in support of establishing beam to the Mu2e Experiment. This work will include assisting with commissioning slow resonant extraction and extinction of an 8 GeV proton beam as well as beam transport to the Mu2e Experiment. Responsibilities will also include simulating and mitigating beam loss and supporting research needs of the experiments. There will also be some freedom for the Research Associate to pursue their own related experimental ideas and scholarship.
The successful candidate will respect, understand and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity and abide by all environment, safety, and health regulations.
The position is for a period of up to three (3) years, with the potential for extension considered on a yearly basis thereafter.
We Are Looking For:
- PhD in Physics or related field
- Knowledge of particle accelerators and beam dynamics
- Published research results of accelerator work, particularly in peer-reviewed journals and conference proceedings
- A strong record of recent accomplishments in their present field
- Demonstrated skills in particle accelerator beam measurements and data analysis
- Ability to solve complex problems with creativity and ingenuity, while working on multiple tasks with varied deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively under the requirements of schedules and shifting priorities
- Ability to work effectively with other individuals
Desirable experience/skills include:
- Expertise with particle-beam transport design and simulation codes such as MAD-X, OPTIM, BMAD or ELEGANT
- Familiarity with slow resonant extraction
- Experience in the operation of a complex accelerator facility
- Modeling and simulation expertise for beam-induced radiation and energy deposition on accelerator components.
- Experience with particle beam instrumentation, beam measurement techniques, and RF systems
- Familiarity with Monte Carlo particle shower models, especially MARS or FLUKA
- Ability to develop customized software tools to gather and analyze data
Interested candidates should submit via Academic Jobs Online:
- Cover letter,
- Curriculum Vitae,
- Research Statement,
- Publication List, and
- Three Reference Letters (to be submitted by the reference writers at the AJO site).
Apple here: academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/16369
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is America's particle physics and accelerator laboratory.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.