Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (known as Fermilab) seeks highly qualified candidates for a Postdoctoral Research Associate position for the Proton Improvement Plan-II (PIP-II) project. The candidate will focus on numerical studies of the beam dynamics and collective effects in Fermilab Accelerators to determine beam intensity limitations in the PIP-II era. The selected candidate will work with experimental data and participate in experimental studies of the beam dynamics to benchmark simulation results and improve understanding of beam losses. In addition, the candidate will work on the design of the PIP-II linac. The candidate will have an opportunity and will be encouraged to participate in other activities associated with the PIP-II project such as, e.g., PIP2IT commissioning.
The position is for a period of up to three (3) years, with the potential for extension considered on a yearly basis thereafter.
- Simulate the beam dynamics in the Fermilab Booster with present parameters and in the PIP-II era to understand intensity limitations.
- Set up detailed Booster computer models with the help of Fermilab experts.
- Work with the Booster personnel, obtain and process experimental beam data required benchmark codes.
- Participate in experimental studies in the Booster to measure the lattice, understand loss mechanisms, and obtain data required to benchmark codes.
- Document results of the studies in comprehensive reports.
- Participate in the design and beam dynamics studies for the PIP-II linac.
- Have an opportunity to participate in calculations, simulations, and other development activities related to PIP-II.
- Work closely with the L3 manager for the Accelerator Physics, PIP-II physicists and engineers, and personnel from other departments to accomplish goals.
Qualifications and Essential Job Functions
- Ph.D. in Physics or Engineering with the focus on the particle accelerators or experimental particle physics
- Demonstrated understanding of the beam dynamics in particle accelerators and their operational principles.
- Possess strong team skills in a collaborative and transparent working environment
- Experience with beam dynamics simulations and simulation codes desired
- Experience with accelerator lattice development desired
- Knowledge of computer programming languages, Python and C/C++ desired
- Respect, understand, and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity.
- Abide by all environment, safety, and health regulations.
Interested candidates should submit via Academic Jobs Online:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement
- Publication List
- Three Reference Letters (to be submitted by the reference writers at the AJO site).
For general information about this position, please contact Eduard Pozdeyev at firstname.lastname@example.org with "PIP-II Research Associate Application" in the subject heading.
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is America's particle physics and accelerator laboratory.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.