Environments and Metrics in Biology Education and Research Conference
June 11-13, 2017 at Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis, MO.
Application and Travel Stipend Requests Will Be Processed Starting March 13, 2017
Registration Deadline: May 1, 2017
We are recruiting researchers in biology, education, psychology, and sociology fields interested in fostering inclusion and diversity in STEM programs. The Environments and Metrics in Biology Education and Research (EMBER) network will be holding a three-day conference on the campus of Harris-Stowe State University, an HBCU located in midtown St. Louis, Missouri. Travel stipends are available, and postdocs and graduate students interested in these topics are encouraged to apply. More information can be found on our website (www.hssu.edu/EMBER).
The EMBER network conference will bring EMBER collaborators together to facilitate communication, collaboration and plan the full network. The 2017 conference has a two-fold purpose, to discuss coordination efforts for the EMBER network and to initiate and communicate ideas for collaborations. The conference will employ an innovative networking strategy combining elements of a conference with that of an entrepreneurial “start-up” weekend. Mini-seminars and round-table discussions will be combined with start-up elements where participants pitch ideas and form working groups.
Round-Table Sessions Led By Key Collaborators
- Themes for exploring inclusive classrooms and research environments
- Connecting education, sociology, psychology, and biology research communities, including a discussion of barriers
- Biology Education Research: interdisciplinary resources and collaborative funding
Start-Up Ideas For Collaborative Research
- Idea pitch session
- Voting for top proposal ideas
- Interdisciplinary working sessions for top proposals (participation does not require long-term commitment to the proposal)
Round-Table Meetings Led By The Organizational Committee
- Collaboration ideas at the interface of education, sociology, psychology, and biology-based research
- Development plan for features/outcomes and sustainability of the EMBER network
- Development plan for sustainability of the EMBER network
Editor’s note: MinorityPostdoc.org publishes postdoctoral & professional job / opportunity advertisements. When participating in these opportunities, please mention that you saw the ad here. Advertisers can request information on rates and terms by contacting us at
last updated 21-Feb-2017