Green River College: Physics Instructor - Tenure Track
Green River College (GRC) welcomes faculty who have a commitment to excellence in teaching and the ability to utilize a variety of methods and modes of instruction to ensure student success. Given the diversity of our student population, we encourage applications from faculty who can adapt teaching methods to a wide range of student backgrounds and interests.
The Science Division at Green River College is seeking innovative and creative faculty who are committed to establishing positive working relationships with students, colleagues, staff, and administrators.
Faculty members in the Physics department actively participate in local and national professional societies. They have secured grants for projects aimed at teaching science to elementary education majors and to promote undergraduate research. The department also has a very active chapter of the Society of Physics Students.
The Science division is accepting applications for a full-time, tenure track Physics faculty position beginning September 2017 and continuing with annual nine-month contracts. The College anticipates filling this position contingent upon availability of funding.
Responsibilities include teaching, student advising, curriculum review and revision, as well as other activities. Faculty will be involved in division and campus meetings, committees, and activities. Primary teaching responsibilities will be for Physics classes — from Physics for students of Liberal Arts to Physics for scientists and engineers; but, the successful candidate may also teach Astronomy. While most classes are held during the day at our main Auburn campus, during some academic terms full-time physics faculty may be required to teach classes at night and/or at the GRC branch campus in Kent.
- A Masters degree in Physics or a related field.
- Demonstrated teaching ability for one freshman-level or sophomore-level course in Physics at the college level.
- The candidate must have been the instructor of record, responsible for all aspects of a single course including teaching lectures, teaching labs, writing assessments, and assigning final course grades.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and cooperatively with a diverse group of colleagues, administrators, and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in oral and written English at a level appropriate for a teacher of college level classes
- Teaching experience beyond the minimum qualifications.
- Teaching experience using inquiry-based instruction.
- Teaching experience using technology as an aid to pedagogy.
- Awareness and use of educational research in teaching in the classroom.
- Experience or demonstrated ability for teaching Astronomy.
- Demonstrated academic excellence.
- Demonstrated experience, expertise, cultural competencies, and commitment to equity in working with students, communities, and colleagues from diverse backgrounds and identities.
- Demonstrated experience with under-represented and under-served communities.
Terms of Employment
This is a full-time tenure track position beginning mid-September 2017. The salary will be determined according to the applicant’s educational background, teaching experience, and applicable work experience. GRC is an agency shop. The position includes an excellent state benefits package including health and dental plans, participation in TIAA-CREF Retirement Plan, three paid personal days, sick days, professional leaves, tuition exemption, a faculty development program, in-service training, faculty excellence awards, and an on-campus fitness center.
Application and Selection Procedure
To qualify for consideration, please submit the following items (electronic submission only) via email to [email protected] by the closing date of April 1, 2017. See full job description here. Application materials must include:
- A cover letter that specifically describes how the candidate meets each of the minimum and the preferred qualifications
- Green River College application (Word version or PDF version and demographic data form)
- Copies of unofficial college transcripts
- Three References with email addresses, telephone numbers and addresses, and a statement describing how long the candidate has known each reference and in what capacity. At least 2 of the references must be familiar with the candidate’s teaching experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Green River College does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, gender, gender orientation, age, marital status, religion, disability, genetic information, or on any other unlawful basis. The college is committed to preventing and stopping discrimination, including harassment of any kind and any associated retaliatory behavior.
Editor’s note: MinorityPostdoc.org publishes postdoctoral & professional job / opportunity advertisements. When participating in these opportunities, please mention that you saw the ad here. Advertisers can request information on rates and terms by contacting us at
last updated 7-Mar-2017