Humboldt State University: Dean of the College of Professional Studies, Administrator IV
Humboldt State University is committed to achieving the goals of equal opportunity and endeavors to employ faculty and staff of the highest quality reflecting the ethnic and cultural diversity of the state
DESCRIPTION: Humboldt State University (HSU) invites applications for the position of Dean of the College of Professional Studies (CPS). HSU serves over 8,000 students, and the College of Professional Studies (CPS) serves 2,782 students. The Dean is expected to be committed to student-centered learning, research, and community engagement. Candidates should demonstrate an active and collaborative working style; a commitment to rigorous, innovative and effective teaching; and dedication to diverse cultural perspectives and multiple learning styles.
RANK, SALARY AND BENEFITS: The salary for this position lies within the Administrator IV range, and comes with an excellent benefits package. This is a CSU Management Personnel Plan (MPP) position. Under this plan, incumbents are subject to normal management reviews and serve at the pleasure of the University President. Additional Management Personnel Plan information can be found at the following website: www.calstate.edu/HRAdm/policies/mpp.shtml.
- An earned doctorate or comparable terminal degree in one of the disciplines within the College, and credentials appropriate for a tenured appointment at the rank of professor within CPS;
- At least three years of successful academic administrative experience (at program leader or department chair level or above), including strategic planning, managing complex budgets and personnel supervision;
- Ability to work effectively with and enhance a diverse campus community and strong commitment to support inclusive excellence through the University and community; and
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to resolve conflicts effectively.
Strongest candidates will have a record demonstrating:
- Evidence of promoting inclusive excellence, multicultural, international, and interdisciplinary perspectives and experiences in an academic setting;
- Evidence of a strong commitment to excellent teaching and scholarship;
- Commitment to the integration of undergraduate and graduate research into the academic experience;
- Success in strategic planning, budget responsibility, and management of faculty, staff and facilities;
- Evidence of supporting innovative hands-on learning and internship opportunities for students;
- Familiarity with information technology innovations for higher education;
- Evidence of effectively working in academic settings in which the scope of work is shaped by shared governance, and fostering trust and communication with faculty, staff, administrators, and students;
- Evidence of successfully contributing to program, major, or university-wide accreditation and curriculum development;
- Evidence of supporting successful faculty development and student success (retention, graduation, achievement gap) strategies;
- Interest in supporting interdisciplinary courses/programs; and
- A record of success in gaining external funding or philanthropy.
At the time of appointment, the successful candidate, if not a U.S. citizen, must have authorization from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services to work in the United States. For information on the University policy on support for non-immigrant probationary faculty visa acquisition, please visit: www.humboldt.edu/aavp/sites/default/files/04-03%20Admin%20Memo%20Approved%20Policy%20-%20H-1b%20Process_4_4_13.pdf.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE DEAN: The Dean is the chief academic officer for the college and reports directly to the Provost. The Dean provides academic, administrative, and fiscal leadership for the college, promotes departmental success within a shared governance environment, and works with the rest of the University community and beyond to further the University’s vision. The Dean will work with faculty, staff, and students to shape a vision for CPS under the University’s new strategic plan. The Dean of CPS is responsible for helping foster success among the various CPS faculty, programs, and departments as they contribute to the larger university vision. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Personnel Management (e.g. attract and retain excellent and diverse faculty and staff; support faculty development and teaching excellence; review faculty and staff for retention and promotion);
- Academic and Curricular Planning (e.g. support curriculum and program development; participate in campus-wide planning, policy design and implementation; provide leadership in assessment);
- Resource Management (e.g. administer financial, staffing and physical resources, including those for instruction and research);
- Advancement (e.g. develop and promote community and university relations; facilitate external funding and grants);
- Enrollment Management (e.g. support student recruitment and retention; actively engage faculty and staff in identifying best practices; analyze and develop strategies to diversify campus).
GENERAL INFORMATION: The College of Professional Studies is one of three colleges at Humboldt State University. It includes the departments of Child Development, Economics, Kinesiology and Recreation Administration, Psychology, Social Work, School of Business, and the School of Education. CPS offers the degrees of Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies (Leadership Studies), Bachelor of Science, Master of Business Administration, Master of Arts (Education and Psychology), Master of Science (Kinesiology), Master of Social Work, and various post-graduate teacher credentials. CPS educates individuals to be outstanding leaders in their fields, who share a powerful commitment to lifelong learning and promoting equity of opportunity in a diverse society. The college is a trend setter in hands-on learning and online education. Over 500 internship opportunities are offered to students every year. Detailed information about the College, its mission, and its programs can be found at: www.humboldt.edu/cps.
Humboldt State University (HSU), located in Arcata, California, 275 miles north of San Francisco, is a proud member of the public California State University (CSU) system with a strong history of acting on its ideals of social justice and environmental responsibility. HSU has been ranked as a top Western university (U.S. News & World Report) and a “Best in the West” college (Princeton Review). HSU has also been recognized as a Green College, and in 2016 won a national “Outdoor Nation” challenge. It is also a Military-Friendly, Vegan-Friendly, and LGBT-Friendly institution. HSU hosts nationally recognized performers, speakers, and art exhibitions and is a regional center for the arts. HSU students enjoy a rich campus life through more than 180 campus clubs, access to a state-of-the-art recreational facility, and 12 NCAA Division II athletic teams.
HSU is committed to diversity in all forms; it has recently been designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, is located amongst the largest population of American Indians in the state, and maintains strong relationships with the twelve federally recognized tribes in its service area.
Application: Qualified candidates should submit electronically the following materials:
- Letter of interest with summary of qualifications;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Application for Academic Employment: apptrkr.com/930602;
- Supplemental Application for Academic Employment: www.humboldt.edu/applicantsurvey/;
- Graduate transcripts (unofficial copies are sufficient for initial review); and
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses for at least four references.
Additional materials may be requested. Please send all material in a single PDF to: [email protected]. Signed letters of recommendation may be e-mailed or mailed separately from the other application materials. In letter of application, please refer to Job #7730.
Please direct any questions pertaining to this position or Humboldt State University to:
Humboldt State University
One Harpst Street
Arcata, California 95521-8299
Phone (707) 826-5083
Email: [email protected]
Application Deadline: This position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than January 17, 2016. Early response is encouraged.
HSU is committed to enriching its educational environment and its culture through the diversity of its staff, faculty, and administration. Persons with interest and experience in helping organizations set and achieve goals relative to diversity and inclusion are especially encouraged to apply.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide complete and accurate employment information. Evidence of required degree(s), certifications(s), or licenses(s) will be required prior to the appointment date. A background check (including a criminal records check, employment verification, and education verification) must be completed satisfactorily as a condition of employment with the CSU. Certain positions may also require a credit check, motor vehicle report, and/or fingerprinting through Live Scan service. Adverse findings from a background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position. All CSU employees are obligated to respond to and report incidents of sexual harassment and sexual violence. The successful candidate for this position will be mandated to receive relevant training on an annual basis. The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position is currently on the List of Conflict of Interest Designated Positions for Humboldt State University. This requires the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every two years thereafter. Visit the Conflict of Interest webpage for additional information: www.calstate.edu/hrs/policies/policies_conflictofinterest.shtml.
Humboldt State University is a Title IX/Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status. If accommodations need to be made during the recruitment and interview process, please contact Human Resources at (707) 826-3626 or [email protected].
Editor’s note: MinorityPostdoc.org publishes postdoctoral & professional job / opportunity advertisements. When participating in these opportunities, please mention that you saw the ad here. Advertisers can request information on rates and terms by contacting us at
last updated 22-Dec-2016