Dartmouth College: Assistant Dean for Postdoctoral Affairs
Dartmouth College is seeking an Assistant Dean for Postdoctoral Affairs working with the School of Graduate and Advanced Studies. The person in this role will be responsible for designing, implementing, and coordinating professional development programs to ensure successful training and support of postdoctoral fellows across Dartmouth. You will also assist in integration of postdoctoral fellows into the Dartmouth community.
Key accountabilities include but not limited to:
- Serves as a liaison, advocate, and advisor between the postdoctoral fellow community and Dartmouth College Postdoctoral Association (DCPDA), and the Dean of the School of Graduate and Advance Studies, faculty and staff at all levels of the institution.
- Integrates postdocs into a comprehensive program of professional development activities, and works with offices across the institution to expand such opportunities.
- Accesses and expands the current network of professional contacts across the academy, industry, non-profit, and government sectors, tailoring it for postdoctoral scholars.
- Communicates regularly with postdoctoral community, Principal Investigators (PIs) and program leaders regarding professional development opportunities, benefits and services for postdoctoral fellows.
- Mentors and advises postdoctoral fellows on a wide variety of academic, personal, social, cultural, career, and community concerns.
- Connects fellows to professionals and opportunities in academia, industry, non-profit and government.
- Contacts all newly hired postdoctoral fellows with an invitation to quarterly orientation and a pre-orientation meeting to discuss their goals at Dartmouth, and activities of interest beyond their fellowship.
- Leads quarterly orientation and ethics sessions for postdoctoral fellows.
- Designs and offers workshops and professional development trainings to supplement campus offerings.
- Effectively communicates and personally supports Dartmouth’s values to foster inclusiveness and diversity.
Postdoctoral Alumni Affairs:
- In collaboration with Dartmouth’s Office of Alumni Affairs, develops, and implements a plan for the School of Graduate and Advanced Studies alumni affairs program and alumni network.
- Collaborates to create a regular email newsletter to our graduate and postdoctoral alumni community.
- Ensures programs for postdoctoral fellows are in compliance with institutional, state, and federal policies. Stays current on policy development for postdoctoral fellows, especially with federal granting agencies such as NIH and NSF.
- Works with the Office of Institutional Research to develop assessments for postdoctoral programs.
- Creates and maintains database of postdoctoral fellows.
- Works with Office of Institutional Research to provide data for tracking, advocacy, and policy changes with respect to postdoctoral scholars.
- Creates and maintains a handbook on policies and procedures related to postdoctoral scholars, collaborating with the Office of Human Resources and other on campus partners.
- Develops website content relevant to postdoctoral scholars.
- Handles all logistics for events and manages attendance.
- Oversees budgets related to Postdoctoral Affairs and the DCPDA.
- Three years of experience working with graduate students or postdoctoral fellows in an academic or research environment.
- Prior experience working in higher education desirable.
- Career counseling experience a plus.
- PhD, preferably in a field offered at Dartmouth, or the equivalent in education and experience.
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Editor’s note: MinorityPostdoc.org publishes postdoctoral & professional job / opportunity advertisements. When participating in these opportunities, please mention that you saw the ad here. Advertisers can request information on rates and terms by contacting us at
last updated 8-Dec-2016